A big thanks to all our recent fundraisers!
1. Call us to get scheduled. We will need to know 1) your name 2) address & phone number 3) how many cats - guess is okay 4) who is feeding them . We will call you to get them on the scheule. It sometimes is a bit of a wait.
2. DO NOT FEED THE CATS THE DAY OF TRAPPING. Do keep water available. Your trapper will advise if small kittens are involved.
3. Be present when the trapping team comes.
4. A trap for each cat will be set with yummy food bait inside.
5. After cat goes in and trap closes, it is covered with a towel to calm the cat.
6. Trapped cat is transported to our facility to be spayed/neutered the following day.
7. The day after surgery (in the morning) the cat is returned to the location from which it was trapped. Please have food and water out.
8. Pay it forward! It costs $25 in materials to fix one cat.
Our program uses the Tomahawk Tru-Catch trap that has been specifically designed for cats. It is a gravity operated drop, not a spring-loaded, trap and is much safer for cats of all ages. You can sign out a trap through our program and are responsible for it's return in good working order on assigned day.
· Equipment needed is:
· Trap with carabiner
· Towel cover
· Instruction page
You are responsible to return all pieces in good working order. You will also need to provide bait for your trap. Trapping will be most effective if the cats are hungry.
NEVER LEAVE THE TRAP UNATTENDED WHILE SET
The booklet includes information on setting the trap.
1. Place the trap in a place the cat(s) frequent usually their feeding area.
2. If possible, leave trap set with door tied up with string so cats and go in and out to eat for a couple of days before trapping.
3. You MUST have an appointment as Jessamine County TNR prior to trapping. You will be told the day to trap and bring your cat(s).
4. To trap:
a. Remove anything used to tie up the door.
b. Place bait in back of trap away from pressure plate
c. Set trap as shown in booklet
d. Get a distance away but pay attention to the trap.
e. It may take a bit of time, but once the cat goes into the trap and the door closes, cover with the towel immediately! The cat will likely be agitated and covering the trap will help calm him/her.
f. Attach the carabiner to the door as shown on the booklet.
5. If you are transporting the cat(s) to us be sure to place tarp to protect the inside your vehicle. DO NOT TRANSPORT IN THE OPEN BED OF A PICKUP.
Copyright © 2021 Jessamine County Trap Neuter Return - All Rights Reserved.